NYC

NYC

Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

childhood as an adult.


“Your perspective on life comes from the cage you were held captive in.” -Shannon L. Alder

I got a chance to go back to where I spent a majority of my childhood for spring break and visit a very good friend that still lives in the same neighborhood where I lived as a kid. While I was there, I realized something: visiting where you grew up won't be the same as it used to be all those years ago.




Here's how I see it
  1. You have your childhood
  2. You have your memories from your childhood that are cloudy and are in a dreamlike state.
  3. Then you have the reality of your childhood that you couldn't comprehend or realize until you're an adult. 
It's amazing how much the world is different from when you are a kid to seeing it as an adult. Partially because your parents wanted you to have the best life possible. But also, you don't know much about the world besides who your friends and family are and what time dinner is, so you can race home from your friends house. Your innocent and your world isn't bigger than the neighborhood you live in.

When you think back to your childhood, you view the place you grew up from the age you lived there. You think of your neighborhood friends, the time to fell off a horse and told everyone your arm hurt when it was really fine, and riding your bike around the block pretending you're on a roller coaster. There really wasn't much too life except swimming pools, playgrounds, and sleepovers. One of my favorite memories was when my sister, friend, and I wore winter coats to the bus stop one morning. The weather must have been at least below 60, right? I'm guessing it was around 70 degrees at best. I know I know, but I grew up in the sun and anything "cold" automatically meant wearing big winter coats that made us look like children marshmallows. Now I wear tank tops at 57 degrees. Yeah, a lot has changed.

But looking back at those years, I'm thankful for the time I spent there and grateful to have moved when I did. I was truly a child there, with no worries or perception of what life would be like when I grew up. I thought I would be wearing heels and dresses in middle school, which I never did. 


I chose this quote at the top of this post for a reason. Our perspectives in life change from childhood to adulthood. Going back to where I was a child made me realize the place where I grew up wasn't the place I had in my head. The real thing isn't close to what I remember. It's a part of growing up and becoming an adult. Seeing my childhood through adult eyes makes me happy to be where I am now. That place will always be what it is in my head, I've moved on.

'til next time.

Kelly.




No comments:

Post a Comment