NYC

NYC

Pages

Monday, May 14, 2018

Out with the New, in with the Old.

There's something comforting about nostalgia.  It's like a fuzzy blanket on a cold night in March. Embracing what you're already comfortable with is easier, and sometimes more enjoyable, than expanding your views and trying something new. There's been a pattern these past couple of years with reboots. Bringing back stories from the 80s and 90s have become very common. From Boy Meets World and Full House to the X-Files and Heathers, people seem to be yearning for stories they watched as a kid.

As comforting as it is to watch television shows I grew up with make a comeback, I can't help but wonder what that says about us as a society. What about television comebacks makes the child in people come alive? Is it the feeling that nothing has changed in the twenty-plus years since the show has been off the air? Or that we can return to a simpler time before our society began to fell apart with the introduction of social media and our current political climate?

I'm not going to deny, I love watching the shows I watched as a kid now and see how the characters changed since we parted ways years ago. It's like seeing an old friend you thought you would never see again. Though, I also want to meet new characters and see a different universe than the one I'm very familiar with. I want to see new stories with new dynamics that are pushing the limits of what the audience is used to. I'd wanted to see shows about people who stutter or a story about young people asking difficult questions about what they want out of life and defining the odds. I'm conflicted between embracing new stories and cuddling up to the ones I already love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment