NYC

NYC

Pages

Monday, October 16, 2017

To My Mother

You see a version of you when you look at me

A younger one with your blonde hair

I am your mini-me, six inches shorter exactly

Half a foot, my two steps equals your one

Walking around the city for days

You tell me a bit about the old days

When you were my age, living in a city northeast of where we were

I'm the navigator, you're the passenger

You remind me to look around 

When I don't know where we are or where we're supposed to go

You tell me that time brings

Joy for the journey instead of the destination

I was too busy searching To see what could be 

I looked around more, appreciated the view

Of people living their lives and buildings sky high

You reminded me what to focus on what's important, what matters

I regret not spending more time the first day looking around

And seeing what I missed, we could have gone down a street

With moments I will never glimpse

Youth focuses on getting there and wisdom removes the anticipation

You forgive me when I got mad at you when I was really mad at my phone

For not understanding the road, the sidewalk of this place

There was magic in the heat of the sun but my mind and body were focused

On the feelings instead of observing how incredible the city is

I cried when we were leaving because you were going and I felt alone

What if What if What if What if What if

Swirled through my mind allowing me to cry

I would have been fine if I had less time

To go over why, to handle my thoughts

Unexpected moments, uncertain moments

Dramatic emotions, the rain was falling down

Tears were falling too, both neverending and fast

Causing reality to blur, all I wanted to go home

Though I said I love you first

No comments:

Post a Comment